My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a follower of Christ!

Friday, November 19, 2004

Coffee Talk

I started working on my business plan last night. Man, is this going to be hard. I am not so sure I know what I am getting my self into. I have faith that the Lord who saved me will certainly help me do this. I got an e-mail from a friend over in Owings Mills who wants to talk with me about my vision of the coffee house. I can't wait cause this guy gets stuff done. He is a doer. I have met wtih so many people who want to help. I wish I knew what to tell them they can help with. I am getting super siked about writing my plan, though. That is new.
Anyway, I started this book that my bro recommended to me called The Preaching Life by Barbara Taylor. I have been pondering this idea of me speeking at church. Being part of a preaching team? Hmmmm. I don't have a problem with that, only I really feel that whoever is up there on sunday morning should know that they have some calling to be up there. I am not so sure I have that calling. This has been the subject of much prayer as of late and I am sure it will be revealed to me. But for now, I will work on enhansing whatever skill is to be had in this area of ministry and see what doors come open.
Until later, yours truly!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jenn,
thank you for sharing your coffee house vision. one of the most exciting things in life is seeing others go after their dreams. so, please, continue to share this journey with others. i want to hear about the struggles & the blessings that occur and about the life & passion that God will awaken along the way.
- alicia

1:49 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks Babe!

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Jenn, this is Jeff Mount. I didn't want to take the time to set up an account, which is why it's listed as anonymous.

Are you really so sure that it has to be a specific calling to be up front speaking? As someone who feels called to do it for a good part of the rest of my life, it seemed like that may be an undue restriction that you're placing upon yourself. I don't know, it's just been my thought that God supplying the giftedness to do a job is usually the biggest indicator that he wants you to exercise the gift. And as far as calling-you are an awesome example of fulfilling the calling to make disciples. The method in doing that is, in my opinion, quite flexible to include speaking.

In case I'm not making my main point clear enough, I think you'd be great as part of a regular group of people who speak at Horizon, and I could see your social connections with people giving your messages tremendous credibility and continuity with your relationships. Consider this a strong encouragement to exercise fully whatever spiritual gifts and natural skills God has given you.

Also...perhaps the only way to discover that calling is to do it and see how it feels!!

Hope to hear you speak sometime soon.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks Jeff! That is a huge encouragment. I guess I think that I don't have that gift. I have confindence that if God really wants to use me in that way he will gift me and develope that gift but I suppose I feel speaking is not a gift of mine just yet.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Its funny that I called you about speaking in January before I even read this last post. I guess you will get your opportunity to try it out.

I do think you have the ability to communicate to a large group. I think that ability is a gift that you have been given. I wouldn't ask you to speak in the Jan. sermon series if I thought otherwise. And Cowan agrees with me. As does Clay.

I am glad you are reading that book. She B.B. Taylor speak differently than a lot of preachers. But she has found her own style and has mastered it beautifully.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks bro! That means much comin' from you!

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home