My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a follower of Christ!

Friday, May 26, 2006

Hey y'all (as "Missy" as I can say it)
This week has been good. The Lord has given me the go-ahead on the task Mark asked of me. I will be speaking about how to honor God as a single person in 2 sundays as a part of a 4 part sermon series on relationships. I was hesitant because I fight with the idea of someone with out a gift or a calling standing up in front of people they don't know and speaking into thier lives. I have spoken with several people who I consider wise and was reminded that not only a gift and a calling give a person authority to speak into peoples lives in that capacity but experience as well (my brother's point). I suppose I do have experience as a single person trying to honor God. I am sure I don't have it nearly figured out or perfected but I am trying. Additionally, I am sure I have no idea what it feels like to be completely content in singleness. With a desire to marry, is that even possible? Content some of the time...sure! But completely content? What does that even mean?
I am siked about speaking now only because I feel like there are some myths I would like to "debunk". Like how some of the natural feelings that come with being single along with having the desire to marry are not "o.k.". Somehow feeling lonely sometimes, wanting to be desired or desire someone else became something that I have felt shame over. Why is that? It's o.k. to have those feelings sometimes. It's what you do with them. How am I honoring God with these feelings? Are these feelings overwhelming or distracting? Do they lead me to make unwise choices?
Anyway, just some thoughts as I prep.

5 Comments:

Blogger CM said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks Bec',
I love you too babe!
Have a blast in Mexico!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Can't wait to hear you speak. God is using you in so many ways. It's exciting! :)

6:13 AM  
Blogger Jeff Mount said...

Jenn-

As someone who's been told by others that they have the giftedness and calling to stand up in front of folks and teach, I find it interesting that you'd hesitate to do so because you feel as though you're not gifted in it.

You may already know that the word "disciple" literally means "student". So, someone who is making disciples is by definition a teacher. You already do that, so does a change of venue really make that big of a difference?

I hope this doesn't come across as harsh. It's simply intended to encourage you not to give any gifting or calling a second thought. God will continue, as he's already done, speak to you and through you about this, because His ability to accomplish His will through you is far greater than any possible restrictions that specific giftings could place.

I know for a fact that God will use this to bless the Towson folks, and when it gets posted on the boards I'm going to recommend folks from Owings Mills to listen to it online.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Jeff, I thank you for the encouragement and I do feel a calling to teach in the way you have discribed. I feel all those makeing disciples are called to "teach". I guess it's the manner in which one teaches that I am not sure all are called to. I feel comfortable teaching those whose lives I have been invited into. Those who have given me permission to speak into their lives. Not so sure about up front on sundays. No relationship with most of those people so what gives me the authority...not relationship, not calling (thanks but this is not where I feel I am called) not giftedness (sorry don't recognize this in myself either). I am comfortable saying that experience gives me that authority...still processing.
Thanks though Jeff, I appreciate your comments.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home