My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am a follower of Christ!

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Silence

Well, I just got back from dropping my friend Beth Ann off at her school in Lynchburg. I am going to miss her a bunch. It was a good time. I got to hang with her and her family. I was truly blessed this summer to get to know her. I can't wait till she moves back.
I drove the entire 4.5 hours down to Lynchburg in silence. It was the most sprirtual time I have had in a while. No music or radio. I started the trip with about 30 minutes of bible on CD and the rest of the trip I spent in silence. It is amazing how our Lord takes oppurtunities like that to speak to us. He helped me to come to some pretty cool conclusions about my life. I love it when he does that. I need to spend more time in quite just listening to him. I gain so much. I think of Elijah and his time alone. God prepared him for major events and spoke to him in a time of silence. I shall stop more often and quite myself. What amazing thoughts and ideas await me. Until then.

Later

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Ahh, yes, the beautiful silence. I had been practicing silence a few weeks ago. I would set an alarm for 15 minutes that way my brain would wonder about how long I had spent in silence. Then I will try to still my mind and listen to God. I often encountered images of Jesus as he sat with me on a rock at the north end of the Sea of Galilee. I need to get back there. Then after my 15 minutes ( you would be surprised at how long that is to be silent of speach and of mind) I would journal about what God had just spoken to me. Very few times did I not hear him speak. And those times were times that I was distracted. If you try it, let me know how it goes.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

You rock! Will do! I have sat in silence many times and I journal all the time. However, I have never journaled about my time of silence and exactly how God spoke to me. Fantastical idea.

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love driving through that part of virginia. it is so beautiful!! even with all the traffic & tractor trailers i still feel at peace when taking in the beauty that surrounds me in the mountains. and whether i'm alone spending that time in silence or i am with dan. it is always a special time of communication between Jesus & me.
thanks for sharing your thoughts - there is a big lack of strong, loving girls blogging about their journey.
alicia

6:48 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks You Rock!!!!

5:19 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Silence is a limited thing for everyone. But as you mentioned it is most important. Sadly, all this noise only has lead to distract us from God. I heard a sermon on silence and it was great. A question I took from it. "Is God's voice more interesting than the voices around you?" Gave me a different perspective. Thanks for sharing and I have enjoyed your thoughts!

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home